When it comes to the quest for an all-in-one utensil, nothing on earth beats the cleaver knife. Every part of this versatile can be put to good use be it slicing, cutting or even chopping.
For instance, the sharp end of the blade can come in handy when you need to cut things. Likewise, its blunter top can come in handy when you need to tenderize meat.
If you turn it on the side, you can use it to smash ginger and garlic. And to make the deal even sweeter, you can use the best cleaver knife to transfer food from a wok or cutting board.
Last but not least, some people use the flat end of this multipurpose tool to substitute the pestle. So, no matter how creative you are in the kitchen, there’s sure to be something a cleaver knife can help you do better.
But don’t run to buy this knife as of yet! There are a few important facts to keep in mind to ensure that you get the best value for your money.
10 Best Cleaver Knife 2021 – Comparison List
Our editors corralled the most popular knives available on the web marketplace. Hopefully, the list below will razzle and dazzle you.
The Best Cleaver Knife in Reviews
1. Dexter-Russell 8″ Heavy-Duty Cleaver Knife S5288
Heavy duty is a well fitting designation for this tough cleaver that weighs 2.5 pounds that can be used by professionals and home users. The knife features a Rosewood handle that adds style to the décor of any kitchen. The Knife is moderately priced.
The Dexter-Russell 8″ Heavy-Duty Cleaver Knife is designed to function effortlessly in smashing bones and doing other kitchen cutting tasks that are difficult for regular knives.
The 8 inches long blade is crafted from high-carbon steel that is stain resistant. Further, the blade has a flat tip and the edges are razor sharp.
Also handling ergonomics were well thought out, the Rosewood handle is well polished and balances well in the hand to provide the control needed to work with it. Further, it is secured on the blade with three brass rivets for longevity.
Besides that, it comes with a hanging hole on the blade.
- It is heavy duty able to handle huge cutting tasks
- It has a hanging hole that makes storing the knife convenient when it is not in use
- The blade is very sharp and strong, making the work easy
- It is a beautiful piece
- It is not a budget cleaver
2. Utopia Kitchen 7-Inch Cleaver Knife Butcher
The Utopia Kitchen 7-Inch Cleaver Knife is sleekly designed and will enhance the aesthetics of your kitchen. The knife is 7 inches long and weighs 14.1 ounces, which is a standard size to do ordinary cutting tasks that are overwhelming to regular knives. The knife has a full-tang design.
Please note that a bigger cleaver may be required if the meats and bones are huge.
The blade is crafted from 100% stainless steel material for durability. Moreover, the edges are razor sharp for efficiency in chopping, cleaving, and bone cutting.
For ergonomics, first, the standard size of the cleaver is ideal for balancing the knife well in the hands of most adults. Besides, the handle has an ABS plastic handle that is designed with an easy grip for control when cutting.
Although it is safe to dish wash it, however, hand washing is recommended to keep the edges sharp. Also, the blade comes with a hole that helps in hooking the knife.
Best of all, it comes at an extremely low price point and is therefore very pocket-friendly.
- It is a pocket-friendly knife
- Its dimensions and weight make it a standard cleaver knife for doing ordinary jobs
- The blade is made from 100% stainless steel
- The handle is ergonomically designed
- The cleaver is sleek in appearance
- It is not a heavy-duty cleaver knife
Also read: 15 Best Fish Fillet Knife – Only Top Models
3. Shun Classic 7-Inch Chinese Vegetable Cleaver Knife DM0712
This is a special premium Chinese Vegetable Cleaver Knife. The design and handcrafting were done in Seki City, Japan. Although it is quite expensive, the purchase is quite risk-free because the knife comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
The knife has a full-tang composition for the sturdiness of the knife.
The features of the cleaver knife fit well in preparing vegetables, and meat but not bones, please note that there is a version specifically made for crushing bones.
The edges can be used for chopping different kinds of vegetables like cabbages, pumpkin, squash, while when flattened the blade can be used for crushing ginger or garlic.
The blade is manufactured from VG-MAX cutting core, with a total of 68 layers of SUS410/SUS431 stainless steel. It is then sharpened to 16° double-bevel for a well-performing knife.
The knife weighs 13.6 ounces and it is 7 inches long which is an ordinary size for day to day kitchen tasks that are hard for ordinary knives.
Further, the D-shaped handle is made from ebony pakkawood for a beautiful and easy to control unit.
- The blades are razor sharp
- The knife has stunning edge retention
- The blades are corrosion resistant and therefore durable
- The product has a limited lifetime warranty
- It is quite expensive
- It is not to be used for crushing bones
4. Dalstrong 9″ Cleaver Butcher Knife The Ravenger
Weighing 2.69 pounds, this cleaver is quite a heavyweight. Besides, it has an unusually curved blade (like a regular knife’s) which is in contrast to rectangular blades. Its 9-inch length is also quite remarkable.
The knife comes with a moderate price point.
The Dalstrong 9″ Cleaver Butcher Knife is a full-tang razor-sharp blade which can be used for many chopping functions in the kitchen including crushing bones, chopping meat, fruits, and vegetables.
The handle is designed to be non-slippery.
The blade is crafted from high-carbon German steel, it has a 56+ Rockwell hardness. Further, the blade has a thickness of 4.2mm, more so, both edges are hand polished to a satin finish with 14-16 degrees.
- It is a heavy duty unit and suits being used as a butcher knife.
- It is versatile and not limited in any way in the tough kitchen cutting tasks
- It has a longer blade than standard cleavers
- It is durably constructed
- The handle is ergonomically constructed
- It is doesn’t come at a budget price
5. Winco 8″ Chinese Cleaver Knife with Wooden Handle
This is a budget cleaver knife with an extremely low- cost. The Winco 8″ Chinese Cleaver Knife is a mid-range cleaver knife. It weighs 15.2 ounces and has a length of 8 inches.
It features a triple-riveted wooden handle, that is non-slip and comfortable to handle. The handle is also beautiful and will enhance your kitchen decor.
The blade, on the other hand, is crafted from corrosion resistant stainless steel for durability.
Please note that it has a hole which helps in easy storage of the cleaver. Also, the cleaver is dishwasher safe and therefore easy to maintain.
- The price is an incredible bargain
- It is beautifully designed with a wooden handle
- The handle is non-slip and comfortable to grip
- The weight and size is average and excellent for managing most standard tasks in the kitchen
- Wooden products have to be kept away from moisture to hold up
- The cleaver has a mid-range weight, huge tasks may require a heavier unit
6. Zwilling J.A. Henckels International 6″ Cleaver Knife Classic Meat
The Zwilling J.A. Henckels International 6″ Cleaver Knife is a mid-range cleaver in terms of performance because it comes with an average weight of 1.6 pounds. It is also 6 inches, which is a bit shorter than most cleavers that are usually 7 inches or longer for heavy duty ones.
The size is quite standard and balances well to give control to most adults using the cleaver.
The knife was made in Spain. It is a fully forged cleaver constructed with durability in mind.
The triple-riveted handle is made from Thermoplastic Polyoxymethylene (POM) for a sturdy and non-slip grip.
The blade is manufactured from high-quality German Stainless steel, which has high volumes of carbon for a durable piece.
Besides, the blade is satin-finished which reduces resistance when cutting foodstuffs and also helps the edges to retain sharpness for long. More so, the edges have Henckels’s 15 degrees edge design.
What’s more, the cleaver has a hole for pegging the device.
- The blade is razor sharp and the edges retain sharpness for long
- The handle is ergonomically designed
- The blade and handle are durably constructed
- The blade is satin-finished and effortless to use
- It is not a heavy-duty cleaver
- Its cost is a bit on the higher side
7. Imarku 7-Inch Cleaver Knife Chinese Vegetable
You can use the Imarku 7-Inch Cleaver Knife at home or in a professional kitchen. It is a competitively priced 7-inch standard cleaver with a weight of 1.2 pounds which is medium.
In this regard, the cleaver can be used for doing ordinary kitchen tasks that regular knives do and also some that regular knives don’t manage properly.
It comes with a triple-riveted pakka handle that is comfortable and beautiful and if kept away from moisture, can last for long.
While, the cleaver’s blade is manufactured from 100% 7Cr17stainless steel material, which is a rust-resistant material with good edge retention. Besides, the cleaver is designed with a hole for pegging it easily.
Additionally, the knife makes a perfect gift to chef students, with its beautiful gift box.
The knife is maintained by hand washing in order to keep the edges sharp for long.
- It has a decent weight and decent dimensions to fit doing most standard kitchen cutting tasks
- It is designed to retain edge sharpness
- The blade is made from a stainless material and therefore it is durable
- The handle is non-slip
- The price is not a budget price
- It is not a heavy-duty cleaver
8. Dalstrong Cleaver 7″ Knife 178 mm Gladiator Series
The Dalstrong Cleaver 7″ Knife is a high-quality medium-duty knife. The cleaver is a standard kitchen tool that can be used for ordinary kitchen cutting tasks. It is 2.1 pounds and therefore sturdy enough to handle bones too.
The gadget is moderately priced and comes with a lifetime warranty.
The blade and handle are specially crafted for performance and durability.
The cleaver has a triple-riveted pakkawood handle that is laminated for longevity.
The blade, on the other hand, goes through various processes to produce a durable and sharp object. The blade is forged from a single piece carbon-rich ThyssenKrupp German steel, it then goes through a satin finish, then it is Ice tempered and heat treated.
Each of the edges is also hand-sharpened to 14-16 degrees.
- Its weight and dimensions make it appropriate for day to day usage
- It has a lifetime warranty
- The blade undergoes through various manufacturing processes for durability and performance
- The cleaver has a durable and ergonomic handle
- It is quite sturdy
- It has no hooking hole
- It is not a budget unit
9. Juvale 8 Inches Meat Cleaver Knife
This is a good option if you are on a tight budget and yet need a heavy duty cleaver. The full-tang cleaver weighs 2.1 pounds which is above average and therefore suited for heavy-duty tasks. Further, its 8-inch length is also slightly above average.
It features a triple-riveted wooden handle that provides a firm grip to give you control over your chopping and cutting tasks.
The blade is crafted from 100% stainless steel for longevity. The blade has a reasonably steep angle to easily penetrate through foodstuffs being prepared.
What’s more, the gadget is dishwasher safe and also comes with a hanging hole for your convenience of storing it.
- It is a heavy duty cleaver going by its length and weight
- It is a budget cleaver
- The blade is built with a material that is 100% stainless steel
- The handle is solidly built and is non-slip and comfortable
- Wooden handles have to be kept moisture-free for longevity
10. Epica 7-Inch Blade Cleaver Knife Chopper
The Epica 7-Inch Blade Cleaver turns difficult cutting tasks in professional and home kitchens into easy jobs. It is 7 inches and weighs 1.25 pounds making it a medium duty cleaver knife.
The full-tang cleaver is designed in a classic Chinese style that will add beauty to any kitchen. It is a low-cost knife unit that also comes with a lifetime warranty.
The blade is crafted from X30cr13 Stainless Steel for a sturdy cutting tool. The steel is ice-tempered for edge retention. It comes from the factory when it is sharp. Besides that, the edges are specially designed to penetrate meat without it sticking on the blade.
Worth noting is that the rounded handle can be a bit slippery especially with wet or oily hands.
- It is very pocket-friendly
- It is a standard size with decent weight and decent dimensions
- It is manufactured from reliable stainless steel for the longevity of the device
- It is ice-tempered to ensure the knife retains its sharpness for long
- Meat doesn’t stick on the blade during cutting
- The handle is rounded and can be a bit slippery
- It has no hanging hole
- It is a medium duty, however, a heavy-duty unit may be required for more involving cutting tasks
Factors to Consider When Buying a Cleaver Knife
“It’s just a meat cleaver!” That’s what some people erroneously say. But if you are a kitchen master or aspiring to be one, you need to know that not all cleavers are built the same. Let’s break down some of the key differentiators.
Quality of Steel
The quality of steel matters a lot and generally, there is the German and Japanese steel. The German steel is reputed for its finesse and is, therefore, more reliable. At the same time, the Japanese steel technology spans from the ancient days of the samurai swords.
But much as these two countries have great steel, there are quite some differences between them. The German-made steel blades, for instance, are much easier to sharpen than Japanese ones. On the contrary, Japanese steel tends to be tougher than German steel.
Looks Can Be Deceiving
Looks aren’t everything as far as cleaver knives are concerned. You want to make sure that the cleaver is heavy enough so you can use it even to chop bones without ruining your blade. For that reason, we often recommend against going for Chinese cleavers.
Ergonomics Still Matter
Comfort is everything when it comes to the use of these knives in the long-haul. However, just like choosing ice-cream, selecting the right cleaver should be purely a matter of personal choice. But basically, the tool should feel solid and safe to hold even for long hours.
So, look for a manufacturer who also prioritizes ergonomics, not just functionality.
Which One Is The Best?
Having considered all the factors above, it is the Utopia Kitchen 7-Inch Cleaver Knife Butcher that in our view meets the grade. It has an ergonomic ABS 430 handle which has a good grip and is also pretty easy to maneuver.
You don’t have to break the bank to afford the best cleaver knife. As we have seen in the list above, there are quite a few options right up your alley. So, go ahead and choose the one whose description seems to best meet your unique needs.